GIVING TO ACS
Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart;
then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work
and in everything you put your hand to.
REDIRECT YOUR GEORGIA TAX DOLLARS TO ACS (GOAL)
In 2008, the Georgia General Assembly passed the Qualified Education Expense (QEE) Tax Credit bill (HB 1133), and Governor Sonny Perdue signed it into law. The legislation was further amended in 2011 (HB 325), 2013 (HB 283), and 2018 (HB 217). The law provides for the creation of student scholarship organizations (SSOs) to which Georgia individual and corporate taxpayers can contribute in exchange for a state income tax credit and possible federal charitable income tax deduction. The SSOs use the contributions to award scholarships to students from K-12 public schools so that they can attend the private schools chosen by their parents. Georgia GOAL Scholarship Program, Inc. was the first SSO to be recognized by the Georgia Department of Education.
Because there are limited tax credits available each year ($100 million for 2019), a taxpayer who is interested in contributing to GOAL must be pre-approved by the Georgia Department of Revenue ("DOR"). This simply means that the DOR sets aside a certain amount of the available tax credits specifically for the respective taxpayer.
So, the taxpayer will submit his or her 2019 tax credit application to GOAL. Then, GOAL will take care of every remaining step, and will remind the taxpayer when action is required.
We, at Athens Christian School, hope that you will prayerfully consider making a donation to The GOAL Scholarship Program and direct it to students here on the ACS campus.
QUALIFIED CHARITABLE DEDUCTION
Help ACS And Help Yourself!
There is an easy way to donate to ACS and at the same time minimize your taxes – take a Qualified Charitable Deduction (QCD) withdrawal from your IRA. Here is how it works.
- The IRS requires that anyone over 70 ½ years of age begin taking Minimum Required Distributions (MRDs) based on the value of their investments as of December 31st of the previous tax year.
- When this amount is transferred from your IRA, at a minimum 10% must be sent by your investment firm to the IRS for taxes you will owe on this transaction for the current tax year.
- The total amount you must pay in taxes for a regular IRA withdrawal will depend on your current income tax bracket, and could be as much as 37% ! For example, if you are in the 22% tax bracket and must withdraw $3000 from your IRA according to the IRS’s schedule, you will actually only receive $2340 and the IRS gets $660!
- Now here is the good part. If you take a QCD withdrawal, the total amount you transfer to ACS will be tax free; our school will get 100% of what you give. And, from the above example, if you give $1000 to ACS out of the $3000 you must withdraw, your personal tax liability for IRA withdrawals will only be $3000 minus $1000, or a total of $2000 which saves you $220 in federal taxes.
- The mechanics of contributing to ACS are simple. Just complete the QCD form which is usually found on your investment firm’s website (sometimes you can just make a phone call), mail it to the firm’s business address, and that’s it; your firm will send a check in the amount you designate to ACS where it will be used to better our school and your grandchildren’s education.
BETTY STONE WEATHERLY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND
On May 22, 2019, Athens Christian School lost our longest serving faculty member, Mrs. Betty Stone Weatherly. Mrs. Weatherly touched the lives of thousands of students and families over the course of her 47 years of service here at ACS.
Miss Betty Stone came to ACS in 1971 to teach Math, and that she did so until the last week of January, 2019, when she was diagnosed with leukemia. She battled that insidious disease at Northside Hospital, and with God's healing Hand, she had gone into remission and was scheduled to go home just two days before her death. Then, quite unexpectedly, Mrs. Weatherly suffered a traumatic brain bleed which immediately took her life. While Heaven is rejoicing, we are acutely aware of our own personal loss.
Mrs. Weatherly's family has established the Betty Stone Weatherly Memorial Scholarship Fund to honor her life in a meaningful, beneficial way. They have established this scholarship as a matching-gift opportunity which will double your gift and have twice the impact on qualified existing and future ACS students, with the following purposes:
- to honor ACS for its educational ministry through the years and for providing Miss Betty the opportunity and Christian environment to teach you and your children;
- to provide a financial benefit for qualifying students and families like yours; and
- to give glory to a very gracious God who gifted Mrs. Weatherly with the genuine love of teaching, her natural loving kindness toward her students, her wonderful mathematical mind, and her deep love for Jesus.
It is very likely that Mrs. Weatherly taught you, your children, or even your grandchildren over the course of her 47 years at ACS.
What a tremendous way to express your gratitude for the countless hours Mrs. Weatherly spent teaching us so many things about God and life, besides just Math. Your gift to the Betty Stone Weatherly Memorial Scholarship Fund can be in the form of cash, check, gift-in-kind, stocks or bonds, or you can donate online by clicking below. Your gift is 100% tax-deductible.
OTHER WAYS TO SUPPORT ACS
Box Tops for Education - Download Boxtop app to scan in your receipts each time you shop in order for ACS to receive funds.
Good Shop - www.goodshop.com - (enter Athens Christian School for "who you support") and you help ACS everytime you shop.
Office Depot - 5% Back to Schools Program. Support ACS by making purchases from Office Depot. Find out more at www.school.com and click on the 5% Back to Schools Program link. Use the Program ID number 70024619 and ACS gets 5% back!
Amazon Smile - Do you shop on Amazon? When you shop at smile.amazon.com, Amazon will donate to ACS, at no cost to you, 0.5% of your eligible purchases.
Choose Athens Christian School as your charitable organization and every time you shop at Amazon do not forget to put smile.amazon.com as the website for ACS to receive the donation. To help keep AmazonSmile on mobile apps you will need to renew AmazonSmile twice a year to “turn on” AmazonSmile on your mobile device. Learn more HERE.
Kroger Community Rewards - Thanks to our ACS parents that participate in the Kroger Community Rewards Program. We received over $1000 last year from this program. Please visit www.Kroger.com/communityrewards to enroll, be sure to have your Kroger Plus card handy and register your card with your organization after you sign up. To verify you are enrolled correctly, you will see your organization's name on the right side of your information page. Please remember you must swipe your registered Kroger Plus card or use the phone number that is related to your registered Kroger Plus card when shopping for each purchase to count.
Ingles - School ID #11841. Link your card so you can support ACS every time you shop. Just link your card and every time you swipe your card when you shop the school benefits. It's easy! Click HERE to link your card.
While cash and pledges are the most common methods for giving, the following gift options are also available, and many offer considerable tax benefits:
Appreciated Securities – Giving stocks and bonds that have been held for more than one year provide even greater tax benefits than giving cash. If the appreciated security is given to a qualified charitable organization, such as Athens Christian School, the donor avoids capital gains tax and most likely will qualify for a tax deduction on the entire value of the charitable gift. The simplest way to transfer securities is to have your broker contact the School Office.
Life Insurance Gift – Give a life insurance policy with Athens Christian School as owner and beneficiary.
Estate – Leave a legacy by making a gift in your will to Athens Christian School. A bequest is one of the simplest ways to remember those you care about most.
OTHER WAYS TO HELP ACS
Athens Christian School is a private, non-profit, 501-c3 corporation which is not supported by church funds or government funds. We set our tuition and fees to an affordable level so that we can serve as many families as possible. For example, this includes capping tuition to 2 and ½ students for larger families.
We have a wonderful group of faculty and staff with great ideas for improving the educational and extra-curricular opportunities that we can offer at ACS. We invite you to become more involved as the Lord has blessed you. We encourage your support for building projects, to purchase equipment, and to support operations. Your gifts are tax deductible as allowed for 501-c3 organization. Many companies and businesses have matching giving programs for qualified organizations. This is an excellent way to multiply your giving.
We are happy to help with documentation for these matching funds.